Friday, May 9, 2014

Teachable


Be Teachable.  I say that a lot, I think it a lot, and I teach it a lot.

I was reading this morning and began to wonder to myself:  "Am I teachable?"

Webster's Dictionary defines "teachable" as:  capable of being taught.

11 Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.  (Ps 86:11., NIV)

According to this verse if I am teachable then I will be doing the following:

  1. Walking in your truth.  Walking means living my life.  So I have to ask myself:  Am I living my life according to God's truth.  Does the Spoken Word of God dictate and guide my thoughts, motives, feelings, actions, and words.  I would love with everything within me to answer yes, but if I did I would be lying to God, myself, and you.  So I am 0-1.
  2. Having an undivided heart.  An undivided heart is one that loves God without limits, never doubts, and is completely devoted to the one that created them.  I love God, but do I love Him like He loves me.  He loves me unconditionally.  I can't say the same.  I would love to say that I never doubt.  I know God believes in me, and I believe in Him.  My problem is believing in myself, and since He believes in me and I don't believe in myself.... I doubt.  Alright, well then, how about completely devoted to the one that created me.  I wished.  I have moments in time where I feel I am completely devoted, but as for all the time.... nope.  Great I am 0-2
  3. Fear His name.  To fear His name is to give God the honor, respect, and reverence He deserves.  Honestly I know I don't always give God the honor, respect, and reverence He deserves.  He deserves that all the time.  Now I am 0-3.

Epic fail

Good news:  I am not alone and neither are you.

When David wrote this psalm it was a prayer.  Being teachable is not a one-time thing.  Being teachable is a process.  When David penned this prayer, it is what he wanted.  David, a man who God said was a man after His own heart, was struggling with being teachable.  It's about a motive, it's about an attitude.

Being teachable means that you and I realize we don't know it all.  We need help.  Be open.  Be willing to learn.  Learn something everyday.  God has so much to teach us.

so:  be teachable, learn something today, about Him.

Chris
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment