Tuesday, September 1, 2020

losing that foothold

 



      2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;  I had nearly lost my foothold (Ps 73:2). 


Sometimes being a Christian is like climbing a mountain.  It can be the hardest thing you have ever done, takes a lot of self-discipline and energy, but when you look down/back at how far you have come the view is so beautiful.  The problem is when we are climbing and our foot slips, or we nearly lose our foothold.  This happens so many times, we can feel like we are climbing and gaining so much ground, then our heart drops and breathing gets fast because we nearly slip.... nearly.   We nearly fall into our old habits, we nearly fall back into old routines, we nearly commit the sin that we battle so often.  Or maybe we did slip, maybe we did lose our foothold, maybe we did fall back, and we grab hold of whatever we can to stop from falling and losing our sanity.  We feel like we are hanging on by just a thread.  At that moment, or in that moment, that is when all the safety equipment comes into effect.  The safety is equipment is for us because no matter how skillful, careful, and experienced you may be anyone, and I mean anyone can slip.  

The psalmist here gives a narration of many troubles he had had (envy, ignorant, and being in vain), because of all this he nearly, be reminded of nearly, slipped.  But then he was reminded of the following:


      23 Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. 24 You guide me with your counsel,          and afterward you will take me into glory. 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?  And earth has nothing I desire besides you. 26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart         and my portion forever. 27 Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. 28 But as for me, it is good to be near God.  I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge;          I will tell of all your deeds.  (Ps 73:23–28). 

Some truths found in these verses when you are climbing that mountain called life:

  • God is with you and is holding your hand
  • God is guiding you
  • God is your strength and portion
  • God is near, so it is good
  • God is your refuge
  • God is your story to tell
keep climbing you are safe with God!  

have a great day, Chris

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Chris Icould not sleep with so many problems and I turn the computer on and here is a great spiritual words of wisdom Thanks Pastor Chris I can go to sleep nowfor God is near me.

    ReplyDelete