Friday, April 8, 2011

The World Does not revolve around you

46 An argument started among the disciples as to which of them would be the greatest. 47 Jesus, knowing their thoughts, took a little child and had him stand beside him. 48 Then he said to them, “Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For he who is least among you all—he is the greatest.” (Lk 9:46-48, NIV)

In my devotion today i was reminded of this fact that alot of us either fail to realize, or don't want to realize.  That is there is a whole great big world out there that goes way beyond me, the humbling fact is that if i died today guess what, the world would keep spinning, life would go on.  Now don't get me wrong, my family, wife, kids, church, and youth would miss me (i hope anyway) :), but the fact is the world would go on.  Sometimes our focus is way too small.  Having four kids it is really easy to get wrapped up in our own little world, cause let's face it when you have kids, there world revolves around them (or it should anyway).  But what would life be like if we stepped back and allowed the world to revolve around God.  Amazing concept, and guess what?  It's the way it is supposed to be.

This marks the second time in Luke that someone is arguing over who is the greatest, can you imagine being in the presence of Jesus, and arguing with the disciples over which of YOU are the greatest.  I love Jesus' response, he sees a child puts the child next to him, a child that none of them probably knew.  Then proceeds to tell them that there is more people out and around than just them.  Jesus essentially tells them they need to get a change in perspective, from the view they had of themselves (I'm the greatest) to a view of the kingdom (the children of God).

I challenge you to get a broader view of the world out there, see that there is much more going on in this world that just what is immediately in front of you, and try to see the world as God sees it.

have a wonderful weekend, go to worship somewhere this weekend, take some Sabbath time, and let someone close to you know you love them, Chris :)

No comments:

Post a Comment