Friday, July 29, 2011

looking in the rear view

so yesterday was my birthday, and no i am really not that depressed about the countdown to 40.  But I have spent some time reflecting on some things.

I was thinking on the ride back from carowinds about birthdays of years past.  One particular one came to mind.  18 years ago I turned 21, and I remember that day well.

I hate alcohol (i know it's a strong word, but i do).  Most people know that about me, and I make no bones about it, I detest the stuff.  18 years ago I became of age to buy the stuff, I became the age to go to social establishments that sell the stuff, and It also was about the time that my downfall to the stuff began.  I turned 21, drinking was what i was supposed to do, right?  going to bars is what i was supposed to do right?  partying on the weekends was what i was supposed to do right?  unfortunately most people thing that way, and act that way.  It's all they had to look forward to, and i know because it's all I had to look forward to.

What i didn't know at the time was what the stuff was doing to me.  I was drinking more and more.  Was all i could think about.  It was my only escape from reality.  My problem was i needed a new reality.  November 30, 1997 became the day I got a new reality.  It's the day i committed myself to Christ.  Was a day I will never forget, was the day God removed the desire for alcohol from me, and i am forever grateful.

Sunday night we talked in youth about taking our anger and turning into our passion and using for something good.  I detest alcohol, it is my passion to share the dangers of it, and I hope it does some good to help young people make better decisions when it comes to the stuff.

I know today was a little more personal, but my friend brian lee, has inspired me to be a little more personal in blogging, so i plan to try and do so periodically.  thank you brian.

Love to my readers, Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment