Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day


Several years ago I was talking to a friend of mine about his time that he served with the US Marines in Vietnam.  I had always heard stories about how our troops where treated when the arrived back home, but now here I was sitting in front of someone who was describing to me what He saw in Vietnam and how he was treated upon return.  Some of the things he saw on the ground in warfare I don't know how you recover, and then to my shock to hear details about how when he arrived back on American soil that instead of people holding signs saying "welcome home"; he was spit at, cursed at, and had objects thrown at him.

Warfare hasn't changed much.  I was talking to a soldier this past summer who had just returned from Afghanistan, much of what he described to me was the same as what my friend the Marine described to me about what he saw during warfare.  Seeing more blood than you could ever imagine, friends being wounded or killed right in front of you (or even in your arms), constantly hearing gunfire or bombs going off, and never knowing what the next day, hour, or minute may hold.

Our men and women in the military are true patriots.  Serving their country, our country, and my country with no regards to their own welfare.  Leaving their families, friends, and lively hood to help protect this freedom that we enjoy everyday.  You and I have the freedom to question and protest where are military goes and what they do, however our military doesn't.  They are following orders. 

No warfare hasn't changed much, but how the American people respond has.  I am so proud of the way that we honor our military now.  We have made huge strides in making sure our men and women are welcomed when they arrive back home. 

Saturday I was at the University of Georgia for a football game.  In honor of Veterans day throughout the game they where honoring current and former students who had served or are serving in the military.  A mom and dad (one of them may have been an instructor at the school) where on the field in honor of their son currently serving in Afghanistan.  They had their sons picture up on the screen, and people where clapping, then the announcer broadcasts that they have a special surprise for the parents and asked them to turn around.  There is their son, walking across the field.... home from Afghanistan, it was an unbelievable moment.  We where no longer just fans of college football, we were all fans of America.  Fans from both sides that had once been chanting "bulldogs" or "App State" where now chanting together "USA USA". 

Yes, I would definitely say we as a country do our best to honor our men and women who serve.  Do we still have room for improvement?  Absolutely.  I believe no Veteran should be homeless, I believe all Veterans need emotional and psychological (better than what they are receiving) assistance upon arrival back home, and I believe a lot of the VA Hospitals need improvement.  However, to hear about where we were and where we are now, makes me proud.

I am sitting at home today enjoying time with my children in freedom because of the service of people like my dad, my father in law, my brother in law, my friends, my cousins, my uncles, and men and women I don't even know, and they all deserve Honor for serving their Country.

So thank you to all of you for what you have done and continue to do to provide the freedom that me and my family enjoy.

God bless you, and God bless America

Sincerely yours,

A thankful Citizen, Chris L. Reese

No comments:

Post a Comment