Friday, September 12, 2014

Regret


Regret: an expression of distressing emotion (as sorrow or disappointment) (Webster's)
 
I saw a tattoo the other day and have heard it said many times "live life with no regrets".  I couldn't help but wonder "is that even possible"?
 
I have regrets, if your honest you do as well.
 
Today's blog is not about my regrets, or yours for that matter.
 
Yesterday I was reading Genesis and I read something that really intrigued (or better yet scared me when I thought about it).
 
5 The Lord saw how great man’s wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord was grieved (regretted) that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. (Ge 6:5-6., NIV)
 
Let me give you a scenario here, in Genesis 1:31 when God created man it says: "God saw all that he had made (man) and it was very good.  Did you catch that, yeah God made man and said not just that it was good, but very good. Then In Genesis 6, it says He was grieved (or regretted) that He had made man.  That stopped me in my tracks, how does man go from "very good" to "regret making".
 
Here is my thought process:
 
Man is created in the image of God, his heart leads him astray, and God regretted making man.  I am created in the image of God, my heart leads me astray, and God........, I don't want to type the rest.  It hurts to think about, but yet I'm left wondering:  Does God regret making me?  Has He ever?
 
Does God regret what He called me to do?  Does God regret giving me the life He has?  Does God regret giving me a second chance at life?
 
Now granite I understand that man had gone haywire in Noah's days, even to the point that there was constant thoughts of evil in their hearts.  God found some goodness in Noah, so He saved him and his family (plus the animals).
 
yet I'm left wondering again:  does He find some goodness in me like He did Noah?
 
God regretted making man AND he had His heart was filled with pain.
 
Pain.  intense emotional distress.
 
here I go wondering again:  Do I cause Him pain?
 
I know the answer, I know I have.
 
There is a flip side meaning to the word used for "regret", it also means to "have pity on" or to have "compassion".
 
That is the silver lining, God has pity on me.  He knows my shortfalls and yet He has pity on me and loves me anyway.
 
God may I live my life so that You have no regrets....
 
Chris
 
 


1 comment: