Friday, September 5, 2014

What to do when you don't know what to do


Have you ever found yourself at a crossroads or possibly an impasse.  Maybe to a point where you feel numb and really unsure of yourself.  Maybe even finding yourself at an intersection of heart, head, emotion, and God; to which none of them agree.  You find yourself standing there thinking to yourself:
what do I do, what do I do, WHAT DO I DO??????

Crossroads are never easy.  Every road seems the one to take, until you think about it...

road of the heart9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. (Je 17:9.)


road of the head: 26 He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe.  (Pr 28:26.)


road of emotions: 17 For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. (Ga.5:17.)


road of God: 5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Pr 3:5-6.)
Here is the hardest part:  we want to follow our heart, we want to follow our head, and we want to follow our emotions.  "Lean not on your own understanding".  I have found that I know what this means.  When you think about this you are not really going to like it (because I didn't).  Don't trust yourself, or your judgment.  I know right, it sounds harsh.  However, seriously think about it.  If you are honest with yourself you will derive at the same decision.  If you think about any decision you made with only your heart, only your head, or only based upon emotion it was not a very good one.

Don't trust yourself.

I don't trust myself.

So if you can't trust yourself, who can or who do you trust:

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Pr 3:5-6.)
 
Trust is a hard thing, especially if you have trust issues like I do.  I envision trust this way:  it's like wearing a blindfold and allowing someone else to lead you.  You and I don't know the future, we don't know what is around the corner, the next day, the next month, or the next year.  God does.

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Pr 3:5-6.)

live for Him.  You are a walking billboard for Jesus Christ.  Need I say more?

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Pr 3:5-6.)

Trust Him, Live for Him, and then we learn that He will make the decision in the crossroads easier.  Now notice I didn't say actually taking the road would be easy, I said the decision to do so would be.  The next part is up to me, and up to you.  God made us people who choose our own way.  You can still choose to take the wrong road.  You can still choose to follow your heart, your head, or your emotion; however, don't blame God or others for your misery that will follow.  When you take the path God wants you to take I promise it won't be easy, but I also promise that God will never leave your side.  I find comfort in that.

So if you are reading this and find yourself at that crossroad of decision.... don't trust yourself, trust the Higher Authority...... God.

Have great weekend!

1 comment: