Saturday, June 27, 2015

And so it begins....


The dawning of a new day.
A fresh start. 
A new beginning.

In January we left our ministry at GBBC not knowing where God would lead us or what we would do.  In the last 6 (nearly 7 months), there have been many dark days full of anxiety and fear.  There have also been many days of personal and professional examination of who God called me to be, and how he wanted me to serve.  I have enjoyed time with my family.  We have spend an enormous amount of time in prayer together, read the Bible together, and did devotions together.  Though there where many dark days, there where also many great days and great times together.  I could literally say that since January 18 our lives have been a roller coaster ride.

I have heard my whole ministry career that God will provide for our needs.  This time in our lives we have learned that.  God has provided everything we have needed.  Financially He provided (through all different sources), emotionally He has provided (a person can feel really low when they are unemployed), physically He has provided, and He has provided us some great times of worship and fabulous church families that have loved on us when we needed it (Antioch, Starnes Cove, Pole Creek, and New Bridge).

Though I have learned a lot about myself, my family, and my calling, it is a six months I would never want to repeat again.

 I have learned that I have some really amazing friends (Stephen Conard, Kevin Burns, Ericksons, Ingles, Watsons, JPM, my neighbors and Bo,  and those who don't wish to be mentioned but you know who you are) that have been so precious to me, and some that checked on me virtually every day.  I have learned that I have some of the greatest family (my parents and sisters) that constantly prayed and my precious mom who has just supported me and loved on me.  My dad who sent me texts and called to encourage me.  My in-laws who are just fabulous. 

My biggest cheerleader being my wife and kids.  My wife who believed in me even when I didn't. My children, whom would pray for me like this:

"God I pray for my daddy to get a job, not just any job but as a pastor, because its what he is really good at".

What a journey it has been, but now this journey has ended and the new journey begins.

Those of you who know me, by now you know that on June 14, 2015 Enka Baptist Church extended an invitation for me to become their Pastor.  To which I have accepted and will officially begin on July 1.  I have deep emotions of excitement as well as nervousness.  Excitement because this has been prayed over for six months, but yet also nervousness because even though I have been in full-time Christian ministry for over 10 years, the last 6 was in Student/Children's ministry.

Being called someone's pastor, is an office of honor and dignity.  It's not a power position.  It's a leader position.  It's a position where the requirements are to be humble, be teachable, be honest, and be available.  It's a position that requires an overwhelming amount of time, energy, and vision.  It's a position that requires the ultimate servanthood to the Almighty Creator.

45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve   (Mk 10:45., NIV)

And so it begins...

As this new journey begins in leading Enka Baptist, I ask that you pray for not only myself, my family, and my new church in the following way:

  • Pray that we, well Pray.  One of the biggest concerns that has been brought to my attention with our new church has been they felt like they hadn't prayed enough.  Pray that we bathe everything we do in prayer.  Pray that I pray and lead as I should.  Pray that in our prayers God will give us, specifically me vision.  Pray that prayer will stay at the heart of what we do.
  • Patience.  I am already chomping at the bit at things I want to do at Enka.  I believe that God is already giving me guidance and vision on future changes.  However, with anything, timing is essential.  I am not the type of person that likes to "sit" on something and be patient.  However, for anything to be successful and be received well, I must be patient.
  • Persistence.  I want to be in this for the "long haul"  I am looking to be here 10 years or more.  I know hard times will come, I know there will be "pockets of resistance", and I know things will not always go my way or smooth.  However, I want them to know I love them enough to work through the tough times, and enjoy the great times.
To God be the glory for this new journey that has begun

And so it begins....

No comments:

Post a Comment