Wednesday, October 26, 2016

I just want to say thank you


12 How can I repay the Lord for all his goodness to me? 13 I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord. 14 I will fulfill my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people. (Psalm 116:12-14)

 

How can I pay the Lord back for all the fantastic things He has done for me.  Reality is I can’t.  Reality is neither can you.  You think about all the things you have, all the blessings life has given you, and the very breath you breathe.  It is all from God.  There is nothing you have had or will have in life that has not been given by God.  There are also things that did not happen that God blocked that you will never know about.  When all this comes to mind we start to think, what can I do?  How can I repay God for so much that He has done.  Your life, your family, your career, your kids, your grandkids, I mean everything is from Him.

 

Reality is reality.  We owe too big a debt to repay.  We can’t repay for our salvation, neither can we earn it.  We cannot repay what God has done for us, it’s just too much to fathom.  With that being said the psalmist gives us two ideas of things you and I CAN do to let God know our appreciation in our hearts.  Thanksgiving to what God has done should motivate us to two things.  Two things that would make the God that created and sustains us smile.

 

One is call upon the name of the Lord.  Talk to Him.  Sounds simple doesn’t it.  I don’t mean sit down and give God your list of things you want and/or need, or your list of sick people.  I am talking about going throughout the day and have conversations with your Creator.  He is your best friend, so when was the last time that you just had a conversation with God.  Share your hopes, dreams, and fears.  Have a laugh.  We should be talking with Him throughout the day.  It will build on your relationship with Him as well as let Him know you appreciate Him.  God knows your heart, why don’t you tell Him what is going on in there because He already knows and He WANTS you to talk to Him about it.


Two, is fulfill your vows to Him.  I would venture to say that many of us have so many broken vows to God.  We get into a bind and we make a lot of promises and deals with God.  First of all, that is a huge mistake because God doesn’t work that way.  He does things out of grace and love and not because you struck a deal with Him.  However, God has granted us all gifts and talents and if you promised God you were going to use those, then you need to.  If you promised God you were going serve Him, honor Him, and follow Him then you and I need to fulfill those vows.  Just as we have made covenants with our spouses, you and I make covenants with God.  There is no better way to show thanksgiving to Him than fulfilling those vows as an act of love.

 

Remember, none of things affects your standing of your place in heaven, for its “not of works lest any man boast” (Ephesians 2:9).  Anything we do is nothing more than just an overflow of thanksgiving and showing our appreciation to our Creator.

Have a great day, Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment