Tuesday, October 4, 2016

When you feel you've lost your footing


 
18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O Lord, supported me. 19 When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul. 22 But the Lord has become my fortress, and my God the rock in whom I take refuge (Psalm 94:18-19, 22)

 

Tell me if this sounds familiar: you feel like you are slipping deeper and deeper, like you are losing your foothold on life.  Yeah, we have probably all been there.  First of all, breathe.  This is not the end.  How do you, how do I make it when we feel like we have lost our footing and are falling.

 

We make it with faith.  Faith in believing in One who is greater than I.  Faith in the One who called all things into existence, and faith in the One who loves you and I more than we will ever understand.  When I feel like I’m slipping it is His love that supports me, His love that keeps me going.

 

Anxiety.  That is another big ugly word and emotion we have to deal with.  The psalmist tells us how to deal with that as well, He says that God’s consolation brings joy to our soul.  What is consolation?  Consolation is the Hebrew word: תַּנְחוּמִים [tanchuwm, tanchum, tanchuwmah /tan·khoom / this basically means to comfort.  To put us at ease.  To put our minds at ease.  Another part of faith.  When we have faith, it is that faith that puts us at comfort when the anxiety of the world comes crashing in around us.  Through that comfort it brings joy to our soul.  It’s like getting a hug from a parent, there is just a comfort in that hug that cannot be described.  So it is with your Creator.

The psalmist adds that the Lord has become His fortress, so the question is this:  Has the Lord become your fortress.  Is He your strength?  Is He the one where you find your refuge (shelter)?  He wants to be, will you just let Him.

I really needed this today, well I guess probably everyday, God thank you for being my refuge, my comfort, my support, especially when Anxiety is high within me….
Have a great day, Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment