Thursday, August 15, 2013

Remind me of who I am

Honest moment, for a little while I've been questioning my effectiveness.  Am I really reaching students for Christ, are lives being changed, am I really making a difference?  If I am making an impact, is it in a positive or negative way?  What am I doing that is so wrong, or what am I doing right? Why are students not excited to come to worship?  Why ARE students excited to come to worship?  What can I do to balance the two more effectively?  Is the problem me?

Have you ever been here?  Self-doubt.  It's a real downer.  All it takes is one moment, one thought, someone saying something, and the next thing you know, here I am, here you are drowning in the sea of self-doubt.  Questioning yourself, losing confidence, and quickly sliding down the slippery slope losing self confidence.  How do I stop, How do I make it slow down?  How do I slam on the brakes?  Is there anyone to help?  Will no one grab my hand and pull me off this downward spiral? 

You try to convince yourself that it's ok, You try to put on a smile, and you try to pick yourself up and keep moving forward.  You try and remember how things where, how good you where doing, remember the pats on the back, and remember the encouraging word that student or parent said.  Unfortunately, It doesn't seem to be working.

Then you realize this is not me..... and you ask yourself, "what's going on????"

I need to be reminded of who I am

  1. I am loved, "I have loved you with an everlasting love, I have drawn you with unfailing kindness" - Jeremiah 31:3
  2. I am a Child of God, "See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!  And that is what we are!" - 1 John 3:1
  3. God delights in me, "The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves.  He will take great delight in you, in His love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing."  Zephaniah 3:17
  4. I am Forgiven, "He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness, by His wounds you have been healed."  - 1 Peter 2:24
  5. I am Free, "it is for freedom that  Christ has set us free.  Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." - Galatians 5:1
  6. I am New, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation:  The old has gone, the new has come!" - 2 Corinthians 5:17
  7. I am set apart, "You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession." - 1 Peter 2:9
  8. I am partnered with God, "For we are co-workers in God's service, you are God's field, God's building" - 1 Corinthians 3:9
  9. I am a Masterpiece, "For we are God's masterpiece.  He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."  - Ephesians 2:10
  10. God has a future for me, "For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" - Jeremiah 29:11
These truths remind me of who I am.  These truths give me the confidence to know that regardless of what I see, regardless of current circumstances, and regardless of what others say that I am who I am.  I am a child of the Most High God.  I love what I do, I love working with Students.  I can't see myself doing anything else.  I don't want to do anything else.  I WANT to see students lives changed, I WANT students to be excited to come to worship, I WANT to make a difference,  and I WANT to see God do unbelievable things through the students.

God, help me to remain strong and be who YOU have called me to be... and "remind me of who I am"


 
 
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment