Thursday, October 30, 2014

I'm done...

 
"I'm done.."

I would venture to say every runner has said that to themselves.

For a couple of weeks I have been trying to psyche myself up to building endurance on my run, or adding mileage.  I have been at 3 to 3.5 miles for a year and I felt like now was the time to add more.  A week ago I added almost a mile and did 4.4.  This week I was like ok, I am doing 5.  So Tuesday came and I was ready.  I have to admit I actually prayed this before I ran, "God please give me the strength to make 5, amen.".  I very intentionally slowed my pace.  I am normally an 11 min mile, I slowed it to 12.5 to 13.  Mile 1 went well, mile 2 got a cramp in my calf, mile 3 was ok, then started into mile 4 and my legs got mad at me and my brain started to tell me to just quit, it's not worth it....

"I'm done..." I thought to myself.

Then I started arguing with myself, "it's only half a mile more than you did last week", "you can do this" "no I can't" "yes you can" "I'm tired" "my legs hurt" "your still a mile from your car, you might as well jog"

I walked for a minute or two, then even though my legs where screaming, my head was pounding, and I felt exhausted I still picked up the jog and finished out 5 miles.  It wasn't pretty, but I finished.  why?  because the end justified the means, the pain was worth hitting the goal.

I related a lot of things in life to running now, but obviously if you read me enough you know that.

Life is a lot like running. 

We try so hard to live life the way God would want us to, and yet it seems the harder we try the harder life gets.  It seems the more we try to be good and do the right things the more complicated life becomes.  The more we try to say "no", the more we find ourselves saying "yes" to things we shouldn't.

Then we get to a point where we start telling ourselves "I can't be good anymore" "I'm tired of fighting temptation" "I'm exhausted"  that's it...

I'm done...

9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. (Ga 6:9., NIV)

Your not alone, we all face the same battle, although most will never admit it.

You can't give up, you shouldn't give up, and you won't give up.  There is a harvest God is waiting to do in your life.  If you give up, there is no harvest.

Your not done....
God's not done...

Take a deep breath, refocus, and remember why you started.




I couldn't have said that any better myself...

Chris


No comments:

Post a Comment