Wednesday, July 8, 2020

I AM


When we think of the "I am" statements in Scripture our minds usually go to two places.  My mind goes first to Exodus 3 where God tells Moses "I AM WHO I AM" and "tell the Israelites "I AM has sent you.  The second place my mind goes is Gospel of John with Jesus' 7 I am statements:

1) I Am the Bread of Life.
2) I Am the Light of the World.
3) I Am the door or gate & 4) I Am the Good Shepherd.
5) I Am the resurrection, and the life.
6) I Am the way, the truth, and the life.
7) I Am the true vine.

However in my reading this morning I was reminded that Isaiah has numerous "I am" statements as well:

         I am the first and I am the last; 
         apart from me there is no God (44:6)

       I am the LORD, and there is no other; 
         apart from me there is no God. (45:5)

         I am God, and there is no other; 
         I am God, and there is none like me.(46:9)

      “Listen to me, Jacob, 
         Israel, whom I have called: 
         I am he; 
         I am the first and I am the last. (48:12)

         I am the LORD your God, 
         who teaches you what is best for you, (48:17)

There could be more in chapters ahead, however my reading stopped in chapter 50.  Five times in this discourse God tells the people (through Isaiah) that He is the "I am".  Apart from Him there is no God, He is the first and last, and He is your God who teaches us what is best.  So the question that is posed is as such, "Who is God to you?  Is He your I AM".  I am means that He is everything, He knows what is best, and He is all we need.  Is God enough for you?  There is no more.  To be our everything means I don't need anything else. Money, power, and prestige is not what I need, it may be what I want, but it's not what I need.  I need God and nothing else will suffice.  Only when you and I discover that God is enough will we find fulfillment in Him in this world.

So, Is God your I AM?

Have a great day, Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment