Tuesday, July 7, 2020

I'm not hurting anybody


I'm sure you have heard this a million times if your like me.  You know someone, or it may even be you, that their sin (or yours) has been found out.  You tell them that their sins will hurt someone and they respond with "I'm not hurting anybody but myself, I am the only one who will have to deal with the consequences".  Reality is you and I both know that is not true.  No matter what the sin it has detrimental consequences to not only you, but the people around you.  Sexual sins destroy marriages and families, alcoholism ruins relationships, anger can be explosively destructive, and the list could go on but you get the point.

So we think about the effects it can have on others, and ourselves, however have you ever considered what it does to God?  The nation of Israel was openly rebellious to God, they absolutely would not listen.  God was abundantly merciful and yet they continued to be unfaithful.  Does this sound familiar?  We have become a nation that is openly rebellious against God, people have no shame anymore, they take what God has called sinful and beautified it as now a norm in society.  We are a country that has been so blessed by our creator and yet we continue to call good that which is evil, and evil that which is good.  I could go on, but I think you get the point.

This brings me to some verses in Isaiah:
         But you have burdened me with your sins 
         and wearied me with your offenses. 

      25 “I, even I, am he who blots out 
         your transgressions, for my own sake, 
         and remembers your sins no more. (Isaiah 43:24b-25)

I underlined for emphasis, but do you see it?  Two words burdened and wearied.  I have never viewed God's forgiveness of my sins that way.  I have always viewed God as patient and merciful when it comes to my forgiveness of sins, and scripture backs that up.  However, that is because I am His child in whom He is well pleased.  My sins are many, but My God is faithful.  My sins are not because I am intentionally trying to hurt God.  But what about those who know they do wrong and continue to do so, with no thought as to who it hurts or affects.  If we look at these verses in Isaiah we see that God sees them as a burden and wearisome.  Does He forgive, absolutely, but He does it for His own sake and not theirs.

So the bottom line is this the question is no longer just "are you hurting someone else with your sin problem" but also "are you burdening God and making Him weary with your sin"?

Thank Goodness for Grace, no matter what the sin may be we can and will find forgiveness through Christ.  Want proof of that look up 1 John 1:9....

May you be blessed!  Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment