Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What if you knew the day you would Die?

I know kind of a morbid question right? But seriously think about it, what if God sent you a messenger and told you to get your affairs in order because you where about to die.  How would you react, how would you spend your time, what would you do?  True story happened to a man named King Hezekiah:


In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. The prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to him and said, “This is what the Lord says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover.”
2 Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, 3 “Remember, O Lord, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes.” And Hezekiah wept bitterly.
4 Before Isaiah had left the middle court, the word of the Lord came to him: 5 “Go back and tell Hezekiah, the leader of my people, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you. On the third day from now you will go up to the temple of the Lord. 6 I will add fifteen years to your life. And I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria. I will defend this city for my sake and for the sake of my servant David.’”(2 Ki 20:1-6, NIV)
 
Scripture tells us that "it appointed to man to die" (Heb. 9:27) that means that God has set the time for us to be born and has set the time for us to die.  However, none of us know that time, but what if you did?  Hezekiah had been a good king, his time had come, and God warned him.  Hezekiah prays and asks for more time.  God grants it to him.  Interestingly enough, this is the only recording that i am aware of where God actually "changes" His mind, then He tells Hezekiah guess what, you have 15 years.  Wow, you talk about a man that would have been on a mission after that, his life was literally extended, and he KNEW for how long.
 
Personally, I don't think i would want to know (or maybe i would).  Ha ha, i know that is kinds wishy-washy huh (LOL).  Reality is we don't know, so in not knowing, we have to give it all we have while we have the time.  I personally want to live life with no regrets.  I don't want to be sitting in a nursing home at the end of my life with a list of "wish i had done it" things.  God has granted me a second chance at life, which He granted me on Nov 30, 1997, when i turned my life over to Him.  He has given me a wonderful wife, four amazing daughters, and an unbelievable chance to work with youth.  I have made a determination that i will live everyday like it could be the last, because it very well could be.
 
Have a blessed day :) chris

No comments:

Post a Comment