Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I broke my valentine's tradition

I normally don't participate in the Valentine's hoopla.  I am of the opinion of a few things:
  1. I treat my wife and kids all year long that i love them; therefore Feb 14 is just another day i treat them like i love them.
  2. I am of the opinion that card and florist companies use this day to jack up prices and make us feel like we "have" to do this (its a marketing thing).
  3. If you want to show someone you love them, do something sacrificial (which by the way is not candy and flowers); do their laundry for them, cook them a meal, make them a handwritten note (not a bought card), wash their car.  I'm for being practical about showing love.
However this year, i broke my standing tradition.  I bought my wife something, not a big thing, just something i picked up a month or so back, i should have given it weeks ago, but I waited till today.  Then we are off to The Cove tonight for Dinner and a Bible Study.

So why did i choose to give it to her today and not, tomorrow or yesterday?  keeps her guessing.  She knows how i feel about how blown out of proportion Vday is.  So the surprise was that she wasn't expecting anything out of ordinary today.  haha. 

BTW, found this tidbit about the origin of Valenties Day and there is nothing romantic about it:

Numerous early Christian martyrs were named Valentine.[5] The Valentines honored on February 14 are Valentine of Rome (Valentinus presb. m. Romae) and Valentine of Terni (Valentinus ep. Interamnensis m. Romae).[6] Valentine of Rome[7] was a priest in Rome who was martyred about AD 269 and was buried on the Via Flaminia. (taken from Wikipedia)

have a great day, Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment