Friday, July 13, 2012

Carowinds NightHawk


Do you recognize this coaster?

It is "Nighthawk" at Carowinds, I was there July 2.  Now rollercoasters rarely bother me, but i have found that as i am getting older there are some now that, well let's just say "get to me".  Ok the truth:  this one really scared me.  There was something about it, something that made me extremely uncomfortable.

Carowinds website describes the ride as follows:

  • The Carolina's only flying coaster soars riders through eight inversions, most while flying face down, zooming toward the ground and turning skyward just in time for the next inversion.
  • The unique rider position offers breathtaking and virtually unobstructed views of the park.
  • Your friends on the ground can walk under the ride and cheer you on through your whirlwind tour.
 If you never rode it before you have a lap bar and a "vest" holding you in, and you are laying "face down" throughout the ride to give you the sensation of "flying".  I remember getting strapped in, then the ride lays you backwards, at this point i thought, "I don't wanna do this, ummmmmm too late", and at this point i have to admit i closed my eyes and simply endured the ride.  Meanwhile beside me was my friend Brian Lee, who has his armed stretched out enjoying the ride (mainly because he wants his superpower to be flying).  Point being I missed the entire ride because of "fear" where as Brian enjoyed the ride because he was not afraid.
So what's the point?  Life can be down right scary sometimes.  Life can make us want to close our eyes, minds, doors, etc. and miss the whole thing.
What is God's response:
Jesus says, " Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” (Matt. 14:27)
The story behind when Jesus says this is when the Disciples where out in the middle of the sea, and Jesus appears to them walking on water.  All of the Disciples where afraid, except Peter, who listened to Jesus and got past his fear and stepped out on the water with Jesus.  Something amazing happened (though short lived) simply because he let go of his fear.
Let go of your fear, take courage, and follow Jesus.
Have a blessed day, Chris.
BTW, unless Jesus tells me to i shall not ever ride Nighthawk, ever.  haha

No comments:

Post a Comment