Thursday, August 28, 2014

How I want to be remembered...

 
A good name is more desirable than great riches;

to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.  (Pr 22:1., NIV)
 
When I think of how I want to be remembered, when I think of what my spouse will say when I'm gone, what my children will say when I'm gone, what my students will say, my co-workers, and those that I am around.....  I wonder what they would say?
 
would they say:
 
He was fun
He was smart
He was silly
He was faithful
He was talented
He was patient
He was kind
He was a jerk
He was ill-tempered
He was uncaring
He was stubborn
He was inpatient
He was unforgiving
He was boring
He was unstable
He was uncaring
He was lovable
He was harsh
He was selfish
He was lazy
He was Chris
 
I can be all those things and more...
 
I am so sorry from the bottom of my heart if I was one of the negative ones on the list, I try my hardest to be the positive person.  I find myself in this struggle of the negative me and the positive me.  This is the battle I face, this is the burden I bear, and I feel I am not alone.
 
I try the hardest to be all things to all people, to be the best person, son, brother, uncle, husband, father, son-in-law, brother-in-law, minister, friend, mentor, and leader I can be.  I had a college professor once tell me "You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time".  I want to be the one who pleases all of the people all of the time, and when I can't (which is quite regularly) I feel defeated.

I want to be remembered as "a good man".  I want to be remembered by the things I did right, instead of the things I do wrong.  I want to be remembered as one who made a difference in people's lives, verses one who accomplished nothing.

I want to live my life in such a way that when my Creator, Sustainer, and Redeemer looks upon what I've done in the time He gave, He will be able to say, "Well done my good and faithful servant."

I want to be remembered as the person in the picture, someone that stood for their faith, and stood in the shadow of the cross.

Right now I am not even close, but I want to be.....

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment