Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A lesson from the hammock


I bought a hammock yesterday.  I have always wanted one, but never got one.  I love being outdoors, hence why I run year round.  The weather has been so nice the last two weeks, that I decided that I finally was going to get a hammock and put it up so I could sit outside read and enjoy.  So I did.  What I wasn't expecting was while I was laying there relaxing watching clouds, looking at green and colors bursting forth, and listening to the songs of the birds that God was going to teach me the lesson He did.

The last several months has been a trying time in life for me and my family.  A time of solitude, stress, and struggle.  A time that reminds me a lot of winter.  It's been a long cold winter.  It's been a harsh winter.  It's been a winter of snow, ice, and bitter cold temperatures.  It's been a winter that seemed like it would never end, and in some parts of the country it still hasn't.  However, here in western North Carolina winter is winding down and spring is beginning to show itself.

I love spring.  The temperature starts to go up, and the days are longer.  I love shorts and tee shirt weather.  Spring informs me my favorite season is coming: summer.  Spring is when all the plants, trees, and grass begin to show their true colors and burst forth in bloom.  Spring is when nature begins to stretch its arms from the slumber of winter and remind us of how beautiful she is.  Spring is where everything around begins to show new life.  Spring is when Easter comes around and shows us that we can have new life in Christ because He Rose, He lives, and He gives new life.

I am hoping as with the closing of winter, this time in our life is coming to an end.  I am ready for new life to burst forth.  I am ready for a fresh start and a chance to bloom.  God taught me yesterday from the hammock that winter does end, spring does come, and He is ready to bloom a new life in me.

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. (Isaiah 43:18-19 NIV)

God do a new thing, spring it up in me........

No comments:

Post a Comment