Saturday, March 14, 2015

Hit with a stick



Adult Simba: I know what I have to do. But going back means I'll have to face my past. I've been running from it for so long.
[Rafiki hits Simba on the head with his stick]
Adult Simba: Ow! Jeez, what was that for?
Rafiki: It doesn't matter. It's in the past.
[laughs]
Adult Simba: Yeah, but it still hurts.
Rafiki: Oh yes, the past can hurt. But from the way I see it, you can either run from it, or... learn from it.
[swings his stick again at Simba, who ducks out of the way]
Rafiki: Ha. You see? So what are you going to do?
Adult Simba: First, I'm gonna take your stick.
[Simba snatches Rafiki's stick and throws it and Rafiki runs to grab it]
Rafiki: No, no, no, no, not the stick! Hey, where you going?
Adult Simba: I'm going back!
Rafiki: Good! Go on! Get out of here!
[Rafiki begins laughing and screeching loudly

Epic Rafiki in the Lion King. 

When I read this verse this morning, this scene came to mind.

"13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead"  (Philippians 3:13, NIV)

If there is one thing that we lot hold us back for entirely too long, it is our past.  Maybe it's a broken relationship, maybe its a divorce, maybe its a wayward child, maybe someone physically or mentally hurt you, maybe you have been abused, maybe you have been bullied, maybe you have made a string of wrong choices, maybe you made one major wrong choice, or maybe you where just wrong place at wrong time.  It doesn't really matter, because it's in the past.

Maybe your past does hurt.  Maybe it is always glaring at you in your face.  Maybe you are facing consequences for your past.  Maybe you feel like you simply can't move on.  Maybe you feel like your past has a grip on you that won't let go.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's you.  Maybe you haven't forgive yourself.  Maybe you haven't allowed yourself to move on.  Maybe you think your past will define the rest of your life.

Don't misunderstand me, the past helps shape us into who we are today.  Your past doesn't define you your past should simply help you.  What would it take for you to be willing to give yourself another chance.  God has forgiven you if you have asked for it, so why can't you forgive yourself.  Mistakes are made to be learned from and not to hold us captive.

As Rafiki said the past does hurt.  I know it and you know it.  Sometimes it seems when we think we have healed from past hurt a sound, a smell, or a sight brings it all rushing back and we feel the hurt all over again.  The past does hurt, you don't imagine it, it really does.  The hurt reminds us to not make the same mistake, the hurt reminds us that we are human, and the hurt reminds us that we have to keep trudging forward.

This verse says "forgetting what is behind";  what would it take to forgive, to "let it go".  The past cannot be changed.  Though you and I wish we could go back and change some of the things we have done and the mistakes that we have made.  Reality is that we cannot.  It is beyond our control now.  Our only option now is to let it go and forget what is behind now.  Not forget the lesson learned but forget and forgive the parties involved.

Forget what is behind, and strain for what is ahead.  Strain gives the idea of having to work hard.  Mentally you have to set yourself up for this.  I have to have a different mindset on days that I am going to run 5 miles, 6 miles, and 8 miles.  On the 8 mile + day I have to really psyche myself up that it is going to be a long hard run.  I have to pace myself differently, make sure I have eaten the right things for energy, and ensure I have enough to drink to stay hydrates.  We have to get up everyday and strain for what is ahead.  We have to mentally and physically prepare ourselves to keep moving forward and forget what has happened behind.

Every runner can remember having an absolutely horrible run.  Maybe it was too slow, maybe you where too tired, and maybe your muscles cramped and ruined the run.  If I allow myself to remember that right before an 8 mile run, how do you think my run will go... exactly not good.  I have to forget the bad run and strain towards the new one.

Forgive yourself, forgive others, and move on from the past.  History should not repeat itself in your life.

Have a great weekend, Chris :)

No comments:

Post a Comment