Sunday, March 1, 2015

Rasicm


One day this past week I was early to Olivia's (my youngest) pre-school, so I let her go into the resource room (library) to hang out with the other kids that where early, while I was there the thought for this blog came into being.  I sat there and watched as my Olivia traveled around the room hugging kids and talking and how excited they where to all see each other.  You may ask, how is that unusual or why would you get an idea for a blog.  Here's why:  Olivia preschool is head start program and is full of multi-cultural and ethnic groups.  In other words it is very diverse.  To my Olivia and the other kids it doesn't matter, and as well it shouldn't.

So the kids are all playing, but as I looked around the parents are not.  In fact they are avoiding eye contact and very stand offish with each other.  The kids are all talking, playing, and hugging.  The parents won't have anything to do with each other.  This brings me to this question:  at what age does this change?  and why?  What age do we all of a sudden see someone for their skin color, and our view change?  Is Racism still that real?  and Why?  I don't get it.....

But you see discrimination goes beyond just skin color.  Some treat others different not because of the color of their skin, but the art they put on their bodies.  Some treat others different not because of the art they put on their bodies, but their career.... or their family.... or their money..... or their heritage.... or their culture..... or their religion..... or their belief .....  or their lifestyle ........

discrimination leads to segregation which leads to self-destruction of humanity.

There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Gal. 3:28, NIV)

I chuckle when I think of how mainstream American Christians view Jesus.  Somewhere along the line they where sold on the idea that Jesus is pale skin.  Won't they be surprise to find out His skin would have been olive colored (or even darker), because of being of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern and not American.  Jesus is neither black or white.... and it doesn't matter. 

For some it matters, and I just can't figure it out...  why does it?  Does the color of my skin change who I am?

Olivia really opened my eyes to seeing how we should be.  A world where there are no boundaries.  A world where there is no separation based upon skin, culture, ethnicity, family life, or social status.  Was this a glimpse of heaven?  and shouldn't this be a glimpse of the church?

I'm so tired of hearing people in the church saying everyone should speak our language, look like us, dress like us, and be like us.  I had a friend of mine remind me the other day that this land was actually not ours, we stole it... so perhaps we should be speaking native American instead of making them speak the English language.

In one of his songs Lecrae sings that one of the most segregated times in America is on Sunday morning.  Think about it:  its the truth.  We have White churches, Black Churches, Hispanic Churches, Korean Churches, Ukrainian Churches, Biker churches, Cowboy churches, and list could go on and on....Why?  Because we think everyone in our church should be like us.  If a white comes into black church they will feel unwelcomed, if a biker comes into a Ukrainian church unwelcomed, and so on... ridiculous.  News flash, there is no indication that Heaven will be that way.  No racism, no segregation, and no division.

Racism is one of those things that is taught, handed down from generation to generation.  Therefore, it is up to you and me to make the change.  Some of the greatest leaders of all time have given us great strides in ending racism, in ending discrimination, and stopping segregation.  I have come to realize we still have a long way to go America.  Diversity is what makes us great, Diversity is what makes our churches great.

I know my thoughts are kind of all over the place today, but my head is racing with how great it would be to get past all of this and realize that we where all created in the Image of God.

I have never considered myself a racist.  I base my friendships off their character and not the color of their skin, their ethnicity, their political view, or their lifestyle.  What will you choose to do?

Choose to like Olivia, choose to be like Christ.......

No comments:

Post a Comment