Thursday, April 10, 2014

betrayed by someone close


"Keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer" -

Some believe it was Sun-tzu Chinese general & military strategist who said this.  However,  his quotation was different. He said, "Know your enemy and know yourself and you will always be victorious." And while "Micheal Coreleone" did say that in the movie, the actual origin of the quote was from Machiavelli in "The Prince" which is the definitive primer for how to be a dictator.

The first part of the quotation means that you always want to keep your friends close to you because they are people you can trust and rely on.
The second part of this means that your enemies are always going to be out there seeking to harm you so you want to keep an extremely close eye on them in order to make sure that they are not going to hurt you.

Overall, it means that you should always know what your enemies are doing. As a war tactic, know what the enemy is doing so you don't get ambushed. (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_said_'Keep_your_friends_close_and_your_enemies_closer')

I have developed a general lack of trust in people when it comes to friendships, so as not to sound cynical let me explain.  The story may sound familiar to you, because it has happened to you (and me) at some point.

(I must say this:  your going to read this blog and think oh my goodness what happened, who did this?  It's not that, it's not a specific problem, instance, or person.  In reality this is a circle that keeps happening over and over not only in my life but people I talk to.)

You get close to someone, spend a lot of time with them, you begin to share your dreams, hopes, fears, and ambitions.  You begin to think this is the person, this is the friend that I can trust.  You begin to get closer and then you begin to find out that they aren't the person you thought they where.  You begin to find out they have an agenda, that it wasn't just because they wanted to be your friend its because they needed something from you, and then it falls apart.  You put the walls back up and put the fake smile back on.

It happened to Jesus, but His smile wasn't fake and He built no wall.

Luke 19:41, "41 As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it" (NIV)

To the crowds following Jesus this entry of Jesus back to Jerusalem was a huge party, they where shouting and praising God, laying cloaks down as a sign of respect, and laying palm branches down as Jesus arrived.  It was a grand and glorious scene, and yet as Jesus approached this... he wept.  So the question is posed:  WHY??  for the same reason I have issues and you have issues with people.  These same people that where praising Him that day would be the exact same ones to cry "CRUCIFY him" 5 days later.


42 and said, “If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes. 43 The days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side. 44 They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God’s coming to you.”  (Lk 19:42-44., NIV)

I personally believe there are more reasons He wept, such as the pain and suffering that He knew was coming, the feeling of being abandoned by His disciples, the thought of knowing one of your 12 would be the ones to betray you, the thought of all the sin of mankind falling on Him, and also maybe tears of joy in knowing God chose Him to be Savior of the world.

So back to trust.  I'm trying to work through this as to not be so fearful that everyone that is close to me wants something out of me, this issue of waiting for the next "friend" to verbally assault me behind my back, or throw me under the bus.  Jesus knows how I feel.  There is comfort in that.  There is hope in that.

It's not that I WANT to always be on my guard and wait for the next person in line to betray me.  I don't like having to always be watching my back. I can't stand being lied to, especially to my face.

And then I the thought comes, wait have I done this?  Have I talked about someone?  have I been the betrayer?  I do not want to become what I despise.  I don't want to make someone feel that feeling that I have felt on many times.

Jesus pushed on.  He wept, yes.  Then He moved on to the temple and He taught.  He spent the rest of the week pouring Himself into these very same people that would (and did) betray Him.

So yes, people will sing praises to you one day and pat you on the back and then a couple of days later they can (and do) become your worst enemy.  It is what some would call a "necessary evil", it's an unfortunate part of life.

I'm not alone, you are not alone.

True friendship is hard to find.  Trust is hard to get, and trust is hard to give.

Following the example of Jesus in this is so hard.  You and I are to pour ourselves into people without thinking of the consequences of "what happens if I let my guard down".  Self-sacrifice.  Humility.  This should be me, and though I may try I am not there yet.  I try to get past the hurt, pain, and fear.  I have got to let go and not allow past experiences dictate future expectations.

So we trudge forward, trying so hard to follow Christ's example and not look back.

If this has happened to you, may the healing begin.

If I have betrayed you, I am sorry from the inner most depths of my being and may you heal from the wound I may have caused.

As for me.... I'm working on it.

Chris

I apologize if my blog was "all over the place" this morning, as I read my devotion so many thoughts where running through mind that I had problems putting them into words, to those who know me, well you get it....




No comments:

Post a Comment