Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Don't Judge Me


I just got through reading the book of Revelation, and in Revelation 20:11-15 you get a picture of the scene of the "great white throne judgment".  This is where God Judges those based upon what they did in life.  After I read this, I began to think a lot about what we call "judging others".  Very more often than not, we hear people say, "I don't know what Bible your reading, but mine says don't judge me", or something to that affect.  Many times people will say that to try and justify their actions, but at the same time there is truth to it.

The verse in question is as follows:

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. (Mt 7:1., KJV)

Here is the truth of the matter of the verse:  "Judge" is Greek word κρίνω [krino /kree·no/], which means "to pick out, and to pronounce an opinion concerning right and wrong".  I think we can all agree that none of us likes to be picked out and have an opinion passed unfairly.

Here is what we do:

We sit beside a mom on an airplane that her child will not listen or sit still and we think "how can she let her child act like that", but yet we didn't know that she is at her wits end because the dad has left her and now she is a single mom trying to do it on her own.

We see a teenager walking down the road all dressed in black and smoking a cigarette and we think, "there is someone looking for trouble to get into", but yet we didn't know that their parents abandoned them as a kid and now they are being bounced from home to home in foster care.

We see a homeless man under a bridge and we think, "bum, get a job", but yet we didn't know that he cant sleep at night because of PTSD from all the bloodshed he saw from defending freedom and he can't find work because his life is spiraling out of control.

We see a young person that has a struggle with promiscuity and we think "whore", but yet we don't know of the years of sexual abuse that they had from every single person they ever trusted.

We see a person strung out on drugs and we think "crack head", but yet we don't know of the years they have had to live on their own because their parents abandoned them.

We see a person that commits suicide and we think "I can't believe they did that", but yet we don't know all the years they tried to get help but yet around every corner they could find no hope.

We see people lifestyles, decisions, and the affects and we wonder, "how could they be that way" or "how could they make that decision".  What we don't know, or understand, is the circumstances and events that led them to derive that the place they are.  I have often heard that we should walk a mile in some ones shoes before we place an opinion.  However, I believe it would take a whole lot longer than that.

People's lives and circumstances are usually not based upon one decision, it is usually a whole string of decisions that lead them to where they are.  People may not like who I am, they may not like my decisions, and they may not like my past.  If I am being honest, I personally don't agree with a lot of decisions I have made.  I know I don't always do the right thing in my life.  I know I don't always treat and discipline my children like I should.  I know I don't treat my wife like I should.  I know I don't always treat my friends like I should.  I know I don't always treat my family like I should.

I am honest enough with myself to know that I have far too often times "passed an opinion" on someone when I shouldn't have.  Haven't we all?

Non-believers look at believers and say they are all crazy Bible thumpers, but are they?
Believers look at non-believers and say they are all bad people, but are they?
people with tattoos are all bikers looking for trouble, but are they?
people without tattoos are all judging those with, but are they?
churches are all full of hypocrites, but are they?
non-traditional churches are full of crazy charismatics, but are they?

I could continue the list of the way we all (not just one or two, but all of us) pass our opinion on to someone else, but I believe you get the point.

I really dislike someone passing an opinion on me when they don't know the whole situation, don't you.  That is why the verse goes on to say the measure you judge someone by, you will be judged on as well.

This is not a matter of what is morally right or wrong, it is a matter of you and I thinking we have it all together in deciding what is right or wrong.

If you continue reading in Matthew the next verses tells us:


3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. (Mt 7:3-5., NIV)

I have way too many things in my own life to deal with, don't you?  I am not perfect, but neither are you.  We like to reflect, because if we can point out someone else's problems we don't have to deal with our own.

Some people have some very real sin problems that you and I need to bring to light in a fellow believers life.  However It has to be based upon a core Biblical truth, and there is a difference.  Such as if a husband is physically abusive to spouse (or vice versa) it's not judging them to call them out for it.  There is a definitive line of right and wrong, and not an opinion.

The core of the matter is this:  You and I need to do a better job at not passing an opinion.  No matter how hard we try we are finite, sinful, imperfect people who are living with other finite, sinful, imperfect people.  Which means, we will still pass opinions on each other no matter how hard we try not too.

In closing, the point of the matter of passing a judgment of opinion is this:  don't be quick to pass an opinion of judgment and don't use "don't judge me" as a cop out, if you made a bad decision accept it, own it, and you will be a better person for it.  Remember above all things that God is the one who determines someone's eternal destiny not me or you (Revelation 20).

Have a blessed day, Chris
 


No comments:

Post a Comment