Friday, May 3, 2013

take a break


9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God;  10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his.  11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest...(Heb 4:9-11, NIV)

Here is one of the biggest mistakes we make:  taking a break, taking a rest, obeying the Sabbath-rest.

I must confess, I am probably the worlds worst.  I get the Sabbath, I understand the Sabbath, and I know why we need to.

Physically we need the Sabbath because our bodies cannot go 7 days a week and function like they should.  Our bodies need that time to relax.  Not obeying the Sabbath; not resting like we should is why we get sick, anxiety, stress, high-blood pressure, and the list could go on.

Spiritually we need the Sabbath as a day to step back from day to day life, and spend some quality time with God.  Grow with Him, and in Him.  Not only can we get physically run down, we can spiritually do it as well.

Make every effort to enter that rest.  It never fails.  You carve it out in your schedule as a day to rest, and something comes up.  It will happen every time.  Keep trying, keep carving out that time, and guard that time.  I need it, you need it.

What is it that helps you to rest?  For some its fishing, some its reading, some its hiking, or biking.  What is it that you or I can do to step away from "everyday" life and rest?  I don't know about you, but most of the time its not Vacation.  Most times we come back from "vacation" feeling like we need a "vacation".

Take a rest, do it soon, and you will save yourself from a burnout.

"Lord help me to heed my own advice, and your command to take a Sabbath" - Me

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment