Tuesday, September 17, 2013

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Life has a way of hitting us, and hitting us hard.  When things seem to begin to go right, that's when it all starts to go extremely wrong.  So what do we do?  How do we deal with it?  How do we stay strong?  How do we not give up hope?


33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (Jn 16:33, NIV)

Jesus has not held any news back from us.  In John here He forewarns us.  He doesn't say life is going to easy, in fact He tells us straight up that there WILL be trouble.  Just because you and I believe in the God that has everything under control, doesn't mean that you and I will live a trouble free life.  Now I'm with you, why can't it all just be good.  Why can't the troubles just disappear.  I can't count the number of times that I have prayed for them to "go away, and never come back".  There has been a lot of times over the last 17 years of being a Christian that things happened that I would have much rather not gone through.

That's the bad news....

So here is some good news.....

It will get better.

Jesus follows telling us that "we will have trouble" to telling us to "take heart".  It's almost like He is saying "cheer up", or keep your "chin up".

Hold up, in troubled times Jesus is telling us to "cheer up".  Yes.

I know in troubled times we don't want to hear this, but the reality is there is someone out there that is a believer that is worse off than you and I are.  So yes, Jesus is saying we need to keep our chin up and keep marching forward.  The hope that we have is that Jesus has promised that He has already "overcome the world".  Any problem that has happened or will happened, Jesus has overcome it.  All things where created for Him and through Him, so there is nothing He can't handle.

You and I on the other hand, we don't handle things very well.

So here is some practical ideas on how I have dealt with some problem times in life (and no I don't have it perfected, these are just suggestions).

  1. Don't blame God for your situation.  We spend a lot of time trying to blame God for all of our troubles, and then we get mad and walk away.  Make a decision to not blame Him, but instead draw closer to Him.
  2. Reflect on what is going right.  Now I know this is EXTREMELY hard, because when things are going terribly wrong, it is hard to focus on what is going right.  However, if you and I will actually think about it we will find some things that are actually going good.
  3. Find your John.  Jesus had that one "beloved" disciple.  You and I need someone that we can depend on during these times to vent and encourage us.  You need someone that will not sugar coat things, in other words if your wrong about something they should be able to tell you.
  4. Surround yourself with "positive" people and not "negative" ones.  Negativity will suck the life right out of you and I.  If you are having trouble, having someone around that is always negative will not help you at the time.
  5. Laugh.  Find ways to make yourself laugh.  Watch a totally off the wall ridiculous movie or show for the sole purpose of making you laugh.
  6. Exercise.  We can work off a lot of trouble or stress in our lives by simply getting out and walking, jogging, or whatever just get off the couch and do something.  I prefer not to be indoors in a gym, so I go jog outside and deal with the elements.
  7. watch your diet.  Fried fatty foods can make your mood worse.  Eat fresh fruits and veggies.
  8. Read your Bible, when you read biblical stories it enables you to see that God has helped many through harder times than you or I have dealt with.
  9. Spend ample time in prayer.  How much is ample?  Depends on the person and your relationship with God.  If your relationship is good with God then you won't be watching the time.
  10. Worship.  Get involved in your church.  worship the one that created you.  It takes the focus off you and helps you to see the "bigger picture".
Hope these help, they have helped me in the hardest times in my life.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment