Friday, September 6, 2013

why does it matter?

I'm often asked as to why it matters how we as Christians act.  It's a legitimate question.  It's also a question that most Christians should know the answer to, but unfortunately don't. 

Biblically there are several answers:

  • because we are representing Christ ( 2 Corinthians 5:20)
  • it means our faith is real and alive (James 2:14)
  • Christ is the example ( 1 Peter 1:15)


I want to speak to the logical reasoning as to why we should.  I think we mean well by the way we act and I think we should stand for what is right.  I think we have the desire to want to see the world changed, but I also think we are going about it the wrong way.  The unfortunate after affect is that people know more about what we are against than what we are for.

When you look at the life of Jesus, He spent His time loving people and not condemning them for what they did wrong.  He loved people instead of preaching about what HE  was against.

We teach our kids to memorize John 3:16, which is great, but if we knew John 3:17 too it would make a world of difference.

"17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

Jesus told his disciples the importance of how they acted:


"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35

Think of the importance of this...

We want people to know that Jesus loves them.  We all should agree to that.  However, at what point did we ever imagine that yelling at people, picketing them telling them God hates them, and fighting against fellow Christians was going to show love.

Should we be against moral issues?  Absolutely.

Should we be loving?  Absolutely.

The two have to meet.

The unfortunate thing is that I as a Baptist minister get labeled under the same umbrella as this guy:

 

So how did this:



become this:


I think it's because our passion is misinterpreted for anger.  I think it's because we think we can fix the world through trying to protest and change things on our own.

I also think its because if we point out other people's sins we don't have to deal with our own.


Our sin and my sin:  Learning to Love instead of condemning.

I saw no love in the above video, the "preacher" even said I love you.  I'm not here to condemn the man, but "Faith and works" have to meet, "Words without action" are empty.  Saying you love but treating with condemnation is a waste of time.  I read an article that stated the guy that the preacher said "wasn't worth 15 cents" had never returned to the church.  Hello?  maybe, just maybe there was a logical and medical reason why the guy hadn't been to church in awhile.  If he where my preacher, I wouldn't come either, just saying.

If you want to see the world changed, let's work differently then what we have been.  Let's give the model of Jesus a chance in our lives.  Let's love one another, Let's get along, and let's make a difference together.

The fact of the matter is that it's not about you and it's not about me.  It's not about what I'm against or what your against.  It's not about what denomination you are or what I am.  It's not about what translation you use or I use.  It's not about whether you are contemporary or traditional.  It's not about whether you have a choir or a praise team.  It's not about whether you are a small congregation or large congregation.  It's not about whether you are a democrat or republican.  It's not about whether you are black, white, Hispanic, or Asian. 

It's about Jesus and your relationship with Him.

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35

This is the ONLY way to change the world.  Think about it:  if people just fall in love with Jesus, there won't be moral issues.  However, if they don't see love in us then they won't ever see the love of Jesus.

It's time for a change,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment