Wednesday, September 4, 2013

For my wife on our anniversary


There is a lot of things about my memory that often fails me.  However, I remember September 4, 1999, as clearly as this morning.  I was a couple of weeks post surgery on my esophagus, and was still having to wear a half body brace because of the fusion that was done to my spine a month earlier.  That day as a beautiful sunshiny day in beautiful Western North Carolina.  I remember pulling up to the back of West Asheville Baptist Church with my heart racing with excitement as the hour approached.  I remember standing off to the right behind the door with Pastor Ken Lewis and my pops.  Pastor Ken looked at me with a smile and said, It's time brother.  I remember standing there awaiting the bridal march, and when it started the doors opened and there I thought was the most beautiful bride I had ever seen.  Now 14 years later, She still is....

It has been quite a journey we have been on for 14 years.  Ten years ago she became pregnant with our first child, whom we lost at the five month mark.  Tried and tried for another, then prayers are answered and in November of 2006 along came the twins (Rebekah and Samantha).  We decided we wanted another, and then came Olivia in March 2010.

It's wonderful to have to help mate that I have.  So supportive when I told her early on that I felt like God was calling me into ministry.  Helped more than I could ever repay when I went back to college.  Encouraging and supportive when we took the step of faith and I let my career at Ingles go in order to pastor a small church in Fairview.  Strength when I needed to make the decision to leave the church in Fairview to be where I am now.  A pastors life is not easy, and being the wife of a pastor is even harder.  I would say by far I have the best one you could possibly have as a pastor's wife.  The hours are long and my attention is constantly being distracted by the needs of others.  She has been so understanding all theses years of ministry when the call comes and I have to leave or when I first began here and our children where to young to travel (and she had to stay at home with our children while I'm away).

I try to live what I teach couples when I counsel them before marriage.  I always remind the guys this:  Treat your woman like a queen because if you don't someone else will.  I am so blessed to have the wife I do, I may not always treat her like a queen but I try my darnedest to.

I'm not the easiest guy to love, I'm not the easiest guy to live with, I'm not the best at being a father, I'm not the best at being a husband, I'm not the best at being a friend, I'm not the best listener in the world, I'm not the most patient person in the world, I'm not the best at being affectionate,  and I have many many flaws.  So all I can do is say thank you to my bride that loves me anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment