Thursday, March 14, 2013

love, nothing more and nothing less


My greatest struggle that I have had since being in ministry has always been this issue, Love.  Oh, not love your spouse, or your boyfriend girlfriend love, not loving parents love, or loving friends love, it's loving each other love.  Loving those who, well, your not even sure if they like you. 

"This is what I command you:  love one another" (John 15:17).

It bothers me if someone doesn't like me, I know it shouldn't matter, but regardless it bothers me. 

I don't claim to have it down (loving each other) yet.  Quite frankly i don't know that I ever will.

but,

Can you imagine your next family reunion, if we loved one another....
Can you imagine your next Christmas or holiday, if we loved one another.....
Can you imagine your next day of school, next day of work, next social event, next visit to the store, next visit to walmart, next visit to the bank, if we loved one another......

How about can you imagine your next worship opportunity at your church, if we loved one another...

What's Jesus talking about, with this "loving one another".  You ready?

Here is what I believe Jesus is saying:

  • Look at people from His perspective, every single person according to Him was worth dying for.  Humbling thought isn't it.  That person you and I don't like, Jesus thought they where worth dying for.
  • Look at love from His perspective.  Jesus' love is unconditional.  He loves you no matter what.  He loves you even if you don't love or even like Him.  It doesn't change that He loves you.  He loves you as much now as He ever has.  Could you imagine loving people that way.
  • You cant love one another, until you learn to love Jesus.  You cannot look at people from His perspective or look at love from His perspective unless you learn to love Jesus.  It's impossible to "love one another" until you Love Jesus.

So what does it matter, why should it matter, why should I love? Jesus summed it up when He said:

"By this all people will know that your are My disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:35, HCSB)

It matters because It's how people know Jesus is for real, and that His people are for real.  Wouldn't it be awful for someone to walk away from the church, walk away from you, or walk away from me thinking they wheren't loved by God and His people. 

Yes it's hard and I'm slowly but surely getting there.

Jesus commands us to love one another.  Love, nothing more and nothing less.

Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment