Thursday, August 18, 2011

I'm better than you are.....

If you read me regularly, you will notice this blog is similar to one last week (I'm glad I'm not like...); however this is some differences.  In my reading through Luke the subject rose up again about this type of attitude.

24 Also a dispute arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest. 25 Jesus said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. 26 But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. 27 For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves. 28 You are those who have stood by me in my trials.  (Lk 22:24-28, NIV)

If you have read my blog before you well know, as i have shared, that i cannot stand this attitude.  There is a reason behind why.  I went to TC Roberson High school (granite it was 21 years ago); there are some things i remember well.  As it is today I went to school with alot of students from Biltmore Forest who where, let's just say well off.  Now let me make a footnote here that I am making a blanket statement, but I think you will receive the point.  I am from a modest family, middle class, and quiet neighborhood.  I did not dress in the latest fashions or latest trends.  Because of this, always felt like i was looked down at, made fun of, and was never part of the "in" crowd, or popular.  I always felt like I was never "good enough" to hang around the popular crowd. 
Now working with students on a full time basis, i cannot stand when i see other students outcasting someone.  I cannot stand when they get this attitude of "I am better than you".  There is simply no place for it in the Kingdom of God.  It also breaks my heart, cause i know how the student feels, but most importantly it breaks the Heart of God.
My other pet peeve is how we treat a waiter/waitress at a restaurant.  The question is that Jesus poses is this:  who is better the one who serves or the one who is served?  Before you answer that question, let me answer it for you, Jesus came not to be served, but to serve.  So next time you in a restaurant remember you are no better than the person waiting on you.  The next time you in school, work, or neighborhood and your thinking your better than someone else because of the way you dress, where you live, what you drive, where you go to school, or how old you are remember this:  vs. 26 Jesus says you are not to be like that.

love to my readers, Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment