Thursday, January 26, 2012

are you tough enough?

Who do you envision as a "tough guy"?  Mine is easy, Clint Eastwood, especially in "Pale Rider"

Oh yes, Eastwood as the Preacher with the side arm.  Now that is a tough guy.

Life inevitably is tough.  Some days are tougher than others.  Life ebbs and flows some days really good, others, well they can be quite miserable.  Sometimes it seems we are under an avalanche of problems with no hope in sight.  the Apostle Paul understood that:

I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27 I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. (2 Co 11:23-28, NIV)

Although we live in a country where most of the above will not happen (flogging, lashes, stoned, etc.) because of our faith.  Society has a way of putting an immense amount of pressure on us as Christians to compromise our faith, our core beliefs, our morals, and our values.  In essence being a Christian is not easy, it takes some hard core spiritual toughness to face the daily battles.  You have heard it said many times Christianity is not for wimps, reality is that this statement is 100% accurate.  However, God does not expect you or I to go it alone.  In this battle you need God, you need His Spirit, you need to be growing spiritually (reading your Bible, praying, etc.), you need your local church, and you need solid Christian Friends.  God never intended you to go it alone, so why do it.  Let's toughen up together.

Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment