Thursday, January 19, 2012

"But First let me......"

Excuses eventually run out.....

61 Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say good-by to my family.” (Lk 9:61, NIV)

Wouldn't it be hilarious if God wrote a book of all the excuses He heard over the years. You know it would begin in the Garden with Adam making an excuse that it was Eve, then Eve making an excuse that it was the serpent, fast forward to Moses and His list of excuses as to why he couldn't lead slaves out of Egypt, fast fast forward to Luke 9:61 when Jesus was calling Disciples and one said, "I will but I have something else to do first....", and then we get to you. 

God asks, "Why don't you read My Word (the Bible)?", we respond with
  • It's too hard to read
  • I don't understand it
  • I don't have time
God asks, "why haven't you been to church lately?", we respond with
  • it's my only day off
  • i overslept
  • it was sunny so i enjoyed outside
  • its full of hypocrites
God says, "I have a plan for you, why won't You follow me?", we respond with:
  • I don't feel worthy
  • I have to work
  • I am too tired
  • its too hard
  • I will when I'm older
  • I will when i retire
and the list could go on and on.  But the problem is this:  God has heard them all and eventually you will run out of them.  God wants so much more for you life, here is some practical advise for carving out some quality time with Him:

  • cut off that TV
  • shut down the computer
  • turn off the video games
  • put down the book (aka reading for pleasure)
  • make better use of drive time (listen to bible on mp3)
  • get out of bed 30 min earlier in mornings
  • multitask during lunch (devotion while eating)
There are so many more things we could adjust and manage our time better.  I would  caution you though NOT to cut any family time to do so, there are far more other things we can adjust.

have a great day, Chris

    No comments:

    Post a Comment